Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Honkawa Elementary School Peace Museum

Our first stop this moring was the Honkawa Elementary School Peace Museum. We were met by the daughter of a suvivor of the A-bomb. She was very candid about the experience her mother went through.

After the attack her mother went back to her house(she was 16 and was working at a factory for the government) and found her families chared remains. She only knew her father because his body was the largest she found and next to him was her 4 year old sister. Moving to the kitchen she fond her mother and baby sister. The mother clutching the baby so tightly trying to protect her, the skin and material of their clothes between them was not damaged. At this point again I was in tears and missing my family terribly. My heart still aches as I am writing thiswith tears again streaming down my face.

After the bombing as if it was not bad enough, the survivors were discriminated aganist due the fact that the other people thought the diseases that were being experience were infectious. These survivors could not find jobs, mates or friends, forcing many of them to ignore this horrific experience to be accepted back into society.

It was a pretty heavy moring.

On a lighter note...We met with the Deputy Mayor, the Hiroshima Borad of Education Members and partents of stuents in the Hiroshima schools. It was a very enlightening question and answer session.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You looks so fun in Japan.
I want to go to Japan too!!
From Hitomi N.

Trina said...

Wow. Your emotions were felt through this computer. Who said they don't have feelings...

I cried with you. I wish I were there. Know that I am in spirit.
--Trina

matt_miller said...

We miss you Leslee..stay strong. Your entries and pictures are great. What an awesome experience.

b.shafer said...

I hope you took a lot of tissues with you. This most recent part of the trip sounds so overwhelming on the emotions. Hope things become more light hearted after this trip to Hiroshima.

♥Megan♥ said...

wow that is so sad! Tuesday my horse died...it wasn't what I wanted to hear right when i got home from school! I Miss you so much!!! Come back soon!

Anonymous said...

I am in awe of the experience you are having! What an emotional rollercoaster. Enjoy every second of it!